All hail Sweden! Since a week, Sweden is holding the rotating presidency of the Union. The program is published on their website: http://www.se2009.eu/en
Interesting priorities are presented:
- Climate (weird, as a Swede I would really not mind a couple degrees more)
- Employment and Economy (at last!)
- Citizen's rights
- Baltic Sea (to save Swedish banks from the Baltic Financial Crisis)
- EU in the World (as anybody else)
As journalists wrote, the program is not ambitious at all, just to make sure that every achievement will be ranked as a success.
But the coming 6 months are crucial to the future of the Union. Indeed, in the next 6 months:
- We will get a new commission and a new parliament. The Battle for Barroso's re-election is going to be a fierce one...
- The Treaty of Lisbon is likely to be implemented, depending on the Irish re-vote. This will be a major tectonic move in our institutions, with a stable presidency, a stronger parliament and a new set of governing rules at the Council.